"Many kinds of online businesses come and go these days. Some of these businesses are legitimate, some are scams, and some are unusual. Olu O. Eniwaye, a professor at Daytona State College in Ohio, thought of a new idea. He wanted to sell marriage insurance online. After all, in the US, 50% of marriages end in divorce. Relationships are more complex these days because couples continue to marry later in their lives. Both men and women bring more assets and debt to the marriage.
Surprisingly, the idea of marriage insurance isn't a new one. In England of the 1600s, insurance policies were regularly written for marriages and births. However, from today's viewpoint, many of these policies were more like wagers. This sort of insurance disappeared for about three hundred years because England outlawed the practice in the early 1700s.
Eniwaye's insurance policy offers financial remuneration for policy holders whose marriages end in divorce. Figures show that the combined wealth of couples increases about 16% for each year of marriage. Therefore, marriage insurance offers some financial safety. It provides a minimal amount of the wealth lost if a marriage ends. Claim amounts range from $250 to $10,000. Annual premiums cost $102.50 to $610. The idea of marriage insurance developed as a result of Eniwaye's background in counseling.
Some people have questioned the honesty of the idea. Is it real or is it a scam? John Logan filed a consumer-fraud complaint. Eniwaye doesn't have a license to sell the insurance, which makes it a felony punishable by a fine and/or prison time. Eniwaye has denied the charges.
Preview some of the lesson material:
Warm Up: Do you agree or disagree? Why?
1. Marriage is the most important part of adulthood.
2. Marriage is the most difficult part of adulthood.
3. Too many marriages end in divorce these days.
4. I never want to get married!
5. I will never get divorced... no matter what!
True or False?: Guess (before the article) or answer (after the article) whether the
sentence is true or false. If false, correct the sentence.
1. All over the world, roughly 50% of marriages end in divorce.
2. Marriage insurance has been around for more than three hundred years.
3. Married couples get roughly 16% wealthier each year.
4. People can get as much as $10,000 from marriage insurance.
5. Because Eniwaye doesn't have an insurance license, he will go to jail.
post-Comprehension: Talk about the following questions in pairs/groups. Remember to support your answers!
1. What do you think about marriage insurance? Please explain.
2. Would you recommend a friend or family member to buy marriage insurance? Why/not?
3. Why are there so many divorces these days? What can be done to lower the rate?
4. What is the future of marriage? Please explain.
5. What advice would you give a couple whose marriage is in trouble?