Dynamic vs. Stative

Present Simple is used with the following verbs instead Present Progressive

-physical perceptions: hear, notice, see, feel
-emotions: like, love, hate, adore, detest.
-wish: desire, want, wish
-mental processes: believe, think, know, understand, remember, recognize, imagine, doubt, consider, expect, mind
-relation: be, have, own, deserve, depend
-other: allow, astonish, envy, fail to do, find, forgive, intend, interest, keep doing, manage to do, mean, please, prefer, realize, refuse, remind, seem, smell, sound, succeed, surprise, taste, tend value.

e.g. I know this man. (Нельзя сказать: I’m knowing …)

Present Progressive may be used in the following cases with specific meaning

DYNAMIC VERBS: (can be used in the progressive to express ...)

1.Activity verbs:(ask, beg, call, drink, play, read, listen to) - PROCESS
Process verbs: (change, widen, deteriorate, grow, fall, die)
2.Bodily Sensation:(ache, feel, hurt, itch) ------------------------- INTENSITY
3.Momentary actions:(hit, jump, kick, knock, nod, tap) ------- - REPETITION
e.g. She is asking you to be quiet.
      I’m feeling very nervous.
      The boxer is hitting another boxer.

STATIVE VERBS: 
(usually not used in the progressive but when used their meanings are affected)

1.Physical Perception: “see” - (увидеться, проводить) e.g. Are you seeing me?
2.Emotions & wish: - intensification e.g. I’m loving you.
3.Mental Processes:
consider (= изучать) -  e.g. We are considering your application.
expect (= ожидать) - e.g. I’m expecting a visitor.
mind (= присматривать) - e.g. Is anyone minding the baby while you are out?
think (= процесс мышления) - e.g. Be quiet! I’m thinking.

4.Relational verbs:
be (= behave) - e.g. You are being rude.
have a smoke, have dinner, have something done, have a walk breakfast (a bath coffee / teaa party troubles / difficulties)
e.g. They are having dinner at the moment. I’m having my room painted.

5. Additionally:
I’m noticing the changes. notice …
I’m understanding you. I’m beginning to understand …
I’m forgetting my French. forget …

FIVE SENSES

    VOLUNTARY                   INVOLUNTARY
I’m listening to you.                I hear you.
I’m looking at you.                  I see you.
I’m feeling this pillow.            I feel a pin in it.
I’m smelling the flower.         I smell gas. It smells awful
I’m tasting this soup.             I taste pepper in it. I tastes hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment