Answers to last week's vocabulary quiz

Answers to last week's vocabulary quiz: "
Did you miss our quiz on dream and sleep idioms last week?
Which of the expressions mean that you sleep well, and which mean that you sleep badly?
Here are the answers:
sleep well
get a good night's sleep
get back to sleep = go back to sleep after being awake: "I woke up at 4 am, but I got back to sleep."
get off to sleep = manage to fall asleep: He's finally managed to get off to sleep."
sleep in = sleep late: "I like to sleep in on Sundays."
sleep it off = sleep to feel better: "If you have a headache, try to sleep it off."
sleep like a log = sleep very well: "I slept like a log last night."
sleep soundly = sleep without waking: "He sleeps soundly most nights."
sleep through something = not to wake up even though there's lots of noise: "He didn't hear the storm and slept through it."
sleep badly
be a light sleeper = be easily woken: "I'm such a light sleeper that I wake up at least three times a night."
have a sleepless night = not sleep much, or at all: "I feel awful – I had a sleepless night worrying."
have nightmares = have bad dreams: "She often wakes up in the middle of the night with nightmares."
not sleep a wink = not sleep at all: "I didn't sleep a wink the night before the exam."
sleepwalk / sleep talk = either walk or talk in your sleep: "As a child he sleepwalked a lot."
toss and turn = to not be able to sleep because you keep changing position: "He was so worried about the meeting that he tossed and turned all night."

No comments:

Post a Comment